Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Don't Believe It


As mentioned in a previous post about the Nils, BYO (Better Youth Organization) Records put out a compilation called, Something To Believe In. After having done some research on the internet, I quickly discovered this comp is no longer available...and even then, only in vinyl format.

What a pleasant surprise, then it was, to find Something To Believe In on Compact Disc. And even then, for the ridiculously low price of only $5.00 through Interpunk.com.

So after waiting in anticipation for about 10 days, I eagerly ripped open the package when it arrived in the mail yesterday. I tore open the cellophane wrapping and placed the disc into my CD player.

A little too hasty on my part, I would soon learn.

I looked at the track list: "No Nils? What's going on," I asked myself. So I started playing the tracks.

Much to my aural disgust, the first track I heard was some sort of So-Cal Thrash/Skatepunk garbage. Okay, let me try the next one...

Then the next one...

Then the one after that.

My disgust was now turning to displeasure, as I soon discovered this was not the BYO Something To Believe In at all. It's not even a reasonable facsimile.

And not even put out by BYO Records, at that. This was an imposter. And not a very good one, either.

This one was put out by something called "kill.normal.records". Now, don't get all huffy if skatepunk is your thing. Personally, I don't particularly mind the original stuff from the late 80's (in limited doses). But this isn't even that.

Most of these tunes are hackneyed clichéd rehashes of genres that got old about ten years ago (think Rancid on a combination of crank and glue: thrashy skater punk/neo-ska, etc.) . And these songs were recorded no less than five years ago by (presumably) tatooed goons with nothing else better to do.

Now, I can spare the $5.00 (plus shipping and handling) that I wasted on this piece of crap. But before I give it away to my local library or something, I thought I'd pass it on to you.

Enjoy or don't. It's up to you. I don't particularly care.



Have a nice day.

Something To Believe In (Not BYO):

1FollyBlending Day With Night3:00






2Blind Luck MusicYears Of Silence2:46






3The Flaming TsunamisBy Force3:06






4Infamous Jake & the Pinstripe MafiaThird Fight3:43






5The Halo JumpIt's No Surprise3:22






6The SkepticsWait3:56






7For All It's WorthTidepool Requiem3:08






8TreephortSoccer Mom1:32






9Sometimes She BurnsMy Girl2:55






10Kicked In The HeadThe Witness3:30






11Smackin IsaiahClass Of '971:47






12DrexelTrack 114:10






13In PiecesA Fitting Lie5:22






14The Arrogant Sons Of BitchesSo Lets Go Nowhere2:30






15Big D and the Kids TableThose Kids Suck1:18






16The SuperspecsListen Up4:09






17JerichoBeauty Fades3:27






18Lock And Key2nd Quarter Broken2:41






19As Dead As DreamsBurnt Sienna3:27






20XIII PFPPerpetuates Silence3:19






21Greg WoodUnsafe3:20






22SlaterCan't Get Through2:47






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

1. You're a cunt.

2. Don't trash music you know nothing about. I wouldn't listen to this if it was made by a bunch of tattooed punks with nothing better to do. And I listen to this. So get your facts straight and don't assume this was put together by a bunch of shitty punks.

3. You're a cunt.