Saturday, October 17, 2009

The Government (No...Not THAT One)

I'll take this Government over any particular one we've had in the last few years.
At times funky, sometimes angular, oftentimes art-punky and always quirky, witty, sardonic and above all: clever.  By most accounts ,Toronto's The Government  became legendary among the the city's legendary booze-hops and music galleries: The Beverly Tavern, The Edge, The Crash And Burn, Larry Hideaway, and -- quite naturally, The Music Gallery.

In 1979, they recorded a live soundtrack to a full-length video  production.  They released it as Electric Eye.

Anyway, The Government was led by interdisciplinary artist Andrew J. Paterson.  He was the heart and soul of the group, serving as the band's singer, songwriter, composer and guitarist for most of their work.  

Paterson was joined by bassist Robert Stewart, guitarist Jeremiah Chechik and drummer Ed Boyd -- later to be replaced by Billy Bryans, who played on their last recording before co-founding The Parachute Club.

In 1979, Paterson et al recorded the single "Hemingway Hated Disco"/"I Only Drive My Car At Night".

Later that year, they recorded the 33 1/3 RPM EP.

They followed that one in 1980 with the excellent, Guest List LP.  Consisting of 14 songs, this was their magnum opus.

Guest List gave way to How Many Fingers?.  The Government was finally defeated (well, okay...they disbanded.  I was trying to be clever.) in 1982.

[No Cover...Click The Album Name Below]

The Government - Electric Eye (1979):

1The GovernmentGreetings From The Gutter 3:22






2The GovernmentLetter To Craig/It Must Be God4:45






3The GovernmentDowntown/I Only Drive My Car At Night2:52






4The GovernmentFumigators 4:27






5The GovernmentOn The Prowl4:39






6The GovernmentI Don't Really Care4:04






7The GovernmentFollowing You2:07






8The GovernmentOn The Prowl/I Feel Like A Beer2:36






9The GovernmentI'm Somebody1:36






10The GovernmentGunshot Wound2:56






11The GovernmentFollowing You/It Must Be God2:15






12The GovernmentLoading Of Gun, Shootout, Escape1:22






13The GovernmentParking Ticket 4:31






14The GovernmentGreetings From The Gutter Reprise0:50












The Government - Hemingway Hated Disco Music (1979):


1. Hemingway (Hated Disco)     1:41


2. I Only Drive My Car At Night  3:00






The Government - 331/3 RPM E.P. (1979):


1
Flat Tire
2:19







2

Get You Sleepin'
4:11







3

Zippers of Fire
4:00







4

Sponge
2:21
















The Government - Guest List (1980):

1

(I’d Rather Be A) Real Computer
3:08







2
Basic Motel
2:10







3

Acute Angle
1:36







4

Complications
2:26







5

None Of The Above
3:10







6

White
2:39







7

Nippon Gaki
2:30







8
Information
3:00







9
Exit Line
2:14







10

Telephobia
1:51







11

I Can't Swim
2:17







12

Fire Escape
3:42







13

Jackboots
3:39







14
Thursday
1:44













The Government - How Many Fingers? (1981):


1

How Many Fingers?
7:17







2

Plaza del Pimps
3:07







3

Portrait
2:35







4

Paranoid Downtown Funk Pt. 1
2:31







12 comments:

Dave said...

The Government is awesome. I agree that Guest List is their best, but I have never heard Electric Eye. I've been searching for it online forever, but no luck.

Great post and blog.

Anonymous said...

i have the electric eye lp. i'll upload it and post a link when i have a moment

Son of Spam said...

Thanks, Anonymous. If you're willing to post your name, I can give you a shout out when I put it up.

Unless, you prefer to remain Anonymous, lol.

Thanks!

Cheers.

Anonymous said...

http://www.mediafire.com/?32mwjgrryjt

that's electric eye.

i remember there were always so many copies at the vinyl museum way back when. my friend who also has a copy thinks it's about son of sam...
apparently andrew paterson doesn't want to have anything to do with this part of his life. won't talk about it. someone associated with the last pogo project tried to talk to him and he was all angry about it. shame. i'd like to know more.
once i was just watching pulse 24 or whatever. and they were showing footage from the movie... i flipped out and tried calling, ended up emailing asking about any info what the show was whether it was possible to see the clip. i got no information. they couldn't even tell me what it was from! i vaguely recall it being the new music, ,but who knows.

anyways.. i don't need the shout out. i'm just happy to help with letting people hear this. there's enough interest for a reissue, i'm sure. i am relaunching my video blog though in 2010... just search for suckerpunch - cool like a lava lamp.

Dave said...

Wow I never thought I'd find Electric Eye. Thanks for the upload.

Anonymous said...

i'll take a picture of the cover(s) next time i'm visiting my records in storage at my mom's. no room in my place. shouldn't be too long.

Branko said...

Thanks for this!

Have the Guest List LP so I was trying to track down mp3s. Dig the EPs and Electric Eye a ton too.

Vanessa said...

Can someone put the Electric Eye download back up?

Anonymous said...

please post the electric eye link again !! ive been looking for these records forever. thanks so much for putting em up here.

Son of Spam said...

Hi there, Anonymous:

Sorry about that, I don't know what happened.

I'm leaving for L.A. tomorrow morning and will be back next week.

I'll try to remember to repost it.

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I know this is an old post but I just stumbled on it. Can you please re-post the Electric Eye. Great Blog by the way.

Thanks

slangeug said...

any chance these links could be re-upped? they are impossible to find elsewhere. cheers and thanks.